[evlatests] Serious Problem with default gain corrections

George Moellenbrock gmoellen at nrao.edu
Mon Sep 24 15:07:28 EDT 2012

Hi Rick,

Because there has been some uncertainty and confusion about the
gaincurves and their normalization, CASA is not yet automatically
applying them under the hood.   In fact, the latest values are not
yet even available to CASA users through the CASA data repository;
I was waiting for a clearer assertion of their veracity before
making them available.  I think I'll wait just a bit longer...

You say the normalization at the zenith is "ok", but this is exactly
the sort of thing that will cause excessive _antenna-dependence_
in the residual gains, especially at the higher-freq bands.  Basically,
the antennas are probably more alike at middling zenith angles
than at the zenith.   Note that the new gaincurves (EVLA.GAINS
that Bryan supplied last week) are now (unlike old versions)
all normalized at the zenith, including for the subreflector-rotation
trick OFF period.   Normalization at the zenith is more easily
argued as appropriate for the OFF period, which is why that
data worked so well for you, probably.

Assuming that the EVLA.GAINS file is otherwise correct,
I'd bet that the even larger _elevation-dependence_
discrepancy that you note has something to do with the time-
and/or freq- interpolation of the gain coeffs---an
issue Bryan expressed some remaining uncertainty about in his
description of the EVLA.GAINS files last week...

(Incidentally, it strikes me that you wouldn't want to pre-apply
the old gain curves to calculate the new, especially since
the interpolation scheme might hide from you what you
should subtract to yield the new gaincurve coeffs.....)

-George