[evlatests] Serious Problem with default gain corrections

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Mon Sep 24 12:55:07 EDT 2012

    We ran on Friday night the script for establishing the elevation
dependency of the antenna gains.   The weather was perfect -- clear, dry
(DP ~ 30), calm.  Temperatures were nearly steady near 40F during the
duration.

    Immediately apparent is that the default gain corrections being
routinely applied to the data are spectacularly in error.  (For my
processing, I'm using the OBIT path, but I presume the same gain
corrections are being applied through CASA also ...)

    The amplitude gain corrections being applied show a huge elevation
dependency.  They are different for each antenna, but all follow the
same trend.   All appear to be normalized at the zenith (which is
o.k.).  Below I give a short table showing the *amplitude* correction
range (amongst antennas) at an elevation of 12 degrees.  The power
correction is the square of this value.

    X         1.06 -- 1.12
    Ku       1.25 -- 1.35
    K         1.45 -- 1.80
    Ka       1.40 -- 2.00
    Q         2.20 -- 5.00  (corresponding to a power correction by a
factor as large as 25!!!!!)

    These corrections are completely wrong!    Where do they come from?
It is not from the calculation of the opacity (provided the OBIT
calculation is the same as the AIPS calculation) -- I regenerated the
corrections using 'INDXR', turning off the antenna gain correction, and
leaving in the opacity.  For the Q-band data, the resulting correction
(at 46 GHz) is 1.5 at elevation = 8 -- a reasonable value.
    So the problem must lie with the default antenna gain curves.   One
might suspect the correction being applied is that required for the
period of time where the 'subreflector trick' was turned off.  But this
is not the case -- I checked the gain corrections from the Jan 2012 flux
density run (when the subreflector rotation was disabled) -- at X-band,
there are no antennas requiring a correction larger than 1%!

    I should be able to generate new corrections by the end of the day.