[evlatests] Zeeman problem?

Emmanuel Momjian emomjian at nrao.edu
Wed Sep 21 17:44:41 EDT 2011

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 7:51 AM, Michael Rupen <mrupen at nrao.edu> wrote:

> Hi Barry --
>
>   boy, would I love this to be the explanation (regardless of how silly
> we'll all feel :)  It should be easy to confirm:
>
> 1- This would have been true with the old correlator as well as the new,
>   but I thought we were told that the old correlator did not see this
>   sort of problem.  Emmanuel, can you confirm that was on much weaker
>   lines?

For the successful zeeman observations we had with the VLA correlator using
EVLA antennas,  the lines at Ka-band were ~80 Jy while at Q-band was ~150
Jy.

Also, in the older days of the VLA (about 10 years ago), zeeman studies of
strong water masers were carried out successfully. These masers ranged from
500 Jy to > 4000 Jy.  I have some EVLA/WIDAR data on one of these sources in
A-config, I'll report the results as soon as I get a chance to reduce the
data.

em