[wfc] Next: Checksum proposal

Arnold Rots arots at head-cfa.harvard.edu
Wed Nov 13 16:16:38 EST 2002

Dear WFC,

Not losing any momentum in clearing old business, attached is a letter
from Bill Pence on the Checksum proposal that is still pending in this
committee.  It was submitted in April and after discussion a revised
version was produced in May.

At this point I would like to ask whether anyone has additional
comments on or objections to the new version of this proposal.
If such is the case, we will need more discussion; if not, I would
like to move to a vote on the proposal.

Please respond by Friday, November 15, 2002.

Thank you,

  - Arnold

Arnold H. Rots                                Chandra X-ray Science Center
60 Garden Street, MS 67                              fax:  +1 617 495 7356
Cambridge, MA 02138                             arots at head-cfa.harvard.edu

We (Rob Seaman, Arnold Rots, and I) have reached a consensus on a new
version of the checksum keyword proposal which we are now resubmitting to
the WGAS FITS Committee for their consideration.  This incorporates the
changes that I had proposed in my previous message (copied below).  It is
available from the same web as before:

http://heasarc.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/heasarc/fits/checksum.html

This 23 May 2002 version of the proposal now contains virtually all the
discussion from the 1995 version of the proposal (but is still only 1/2 as
long). This makes it a more complete and self-contained document as was
requested in particular by Don and Eric.

The proposal is now organized into 2 main sections, much like the Y2000 FITS
agreement: The main body of the proposal contains a concise definition of
the DATASUM and CHECKSUM keywords.  We envision that this section, if
approved, will be added to section 5.4 of the FITS Standard.  This is
followed by an appendix  which presumably would be added as an appendix to
the Standard.

regards,
Bill Pence