[wfc] Next: Checksum proposal

Robert Hanisch hanisch at stsci.edu
Thu Nov 14 10:18:18 EST 2002

In the past I have expressed my reservations about the checksum proposal,
i.e., whether it is really necessary.  Computer systems have so much
inherent error checking built in to them that I wonder if adding our own
additional check really adds anything.  I also worry a bit about people
making manual changes to FITS files, which invalidate the checksum but in
fact do not affect the integrity of the file.  And I worry about FITS files
being manipulated by programs that do not update the checksum, yet the files
are perfectly valid.

I checked with the HST archive staff about this also, and there was not a
lot of enthusiasm.  They said that the few data corruption problems we've
had would probably not have been avoided, even with a FITS checksum.

So, I remain lukewarm about the proposal, but would not actually vote
against it.  Of course, as ex officio on the committee I don't get to vote
anyway!

Cheers,
Bob