[Pafgbt] save PAF cross-correlations rather than formed beam outputs

Anish Roshi anish.roshi at gmail.com
Tue May 21 09:14:55 EDT 2013

Hi Rick,

A clarification (see below) --

On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 4:02 PM, Anish Roshi <anish.roshi at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Anish can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he said that the ASKAP
>> default plan is to cross-correlate all array PAF elements with all other
>> PAF elements across all synthesis array antennas, which avoids the need to
>> form voltage beams.
>

> No they correlate between all PAF elements in an antenna to get the
> weights for 30 beams. Then they will correlate between the 30 beams for
> synthesis array. Eigen beam forming is not what they are going for in the
> first place.

Getting the weights for the beam has two steps -- (1) to measure the noise
correlation matrix using all the PAF elements
on a blank sky and (2) measuring the `signal vector'. They take the `signal
vector' (say S) as the complex voltages obtained by cross correlating
elements of the PAF in one antenna with a feed (it is a horn at present;
but I think one element of PAF can also be used) in a second antenna.

As I was discussing with Doug Hayman about the measurement of the signal
vector -- I think S will not give the signal vector (Brain may be
interested in this since I heard he will at ASKAP for a year). This is
because of mutual coupling in PAF elements. One should form a matrix SS^H
and diagonalize the matrix. The `signal vector' should then be the eigen
vector corresponding to the dominant eigen value.

 Anish

This is more expensive in signal processing power than forming modestly