[Pafgbt] save PAF cross-correlations rather than formed beam outputs

Anish Roshi anish.roshi at gmail.com
Mon May 20 21:07:36 EDT 2013

Hi Rick et al,

Regarding the eigen beam forming --

The way Maxim and Cornell formulated the eigen beam (at least the version I
have seen) may not be directly applicable to PAF. In their formalism they
do not take into account of the fact that the noise of PAF output depends
on the weights. If we reformulate it in terms of the signal to noise
maximization at a given position in the sky the solution (ie the weights) I
suspect will be identical to that Brain and Karl obtained for a single
pointing. But the interesting thing of working with the correlation matrix
and Maxim and Cornell's formalism is that the spread of the eigen values
(of the matrix used of optimization) tells you how many beams are needed to
obtain the specific goal of the optimization. So it can be thought similar
to the imaging in interferometer.

Anish