[Pafgbt] save PAF cross-correlations rather than formed beam outputs

Brian Jeffs bjeffs at byu.edu
Tue May 21 11:37:44 EDT 2013

Anish,

Yes, this is the way we do it to find the signal vector for calibration, with an eigen decomposition.  I think we were the first to propose that approach.  We have an improved method using a generalized eigenvector decomposition which also uses a dark sky noise covariance matrix estimate contemporary with the calibration observation.  It is in:

Elmer, M.; Jeffs, B.D.; Warnick, Karl F. ; Fisher, J.R. ; Norrod, "R.D.Beamformer Design Methods for Radio Astronomical Phased Array Feeds," Antennas and Propagation, IEEE Transactions on, Volume: 60, Issue: 2, Part: 2, Digital Object Identifier: 10.1109/TAP.2011.2173143, 2012 , Page(s): 903- 914.

Brian