[Pafgbt] PAF beam spacing on the GBT for a pulsar survey

Matt Morgan mmorgan2 at nrao.edu
Tue Apr 13 12:08:46 EDT 2010

To add a third perspective, you might consider what expands the
parameter space the most (compared to other available instruments, that
is). PALFA of course is a feedhorn array, so I suspect their beam
spacing was not a strategy but a limitation. Mapping large areas with
spaced beams is something feedhorn arrays like PALFA can already do.
Mapping smaller areas fast with uniform sensitivity and tightly spaced
beams is something only a PAF can do. I'd emphasize what makes you unique.

That's purely an engineer's perspective, but I think its the right way
to optimize a general-purpose instrument. Optimizing for a particular
usage case is more appropriate I think for application-specific or
experiment-driven instruments. So to me the question is, which type of
instrument is this -- general-purpose or application-specific?

Matt