[mmaimcal] ACA Antenna Specs

Todd R. Hunter thunter at nrao.edu
Thu Dec 14 18:10:59 EST 2006

Hi Al,

Section 5.2.1 Velocity and Acceleration

This spec is incomplete.  The only numbers given are for acceleration.
We also need to see the max velocity for each antenna type.  For example,
an antenna with a lower acceleration but a higher ultimate velocity will
reach a new source quicker if it is beyond some threshold distance. If you
are only concerned with slews of a few degrees, then the Melco will lose.
But if you are also concerned with slews of tens of degrees (say, when
switching between track-shared science sources), then we really must
consider the max velocity before making conclusions.

Section 6.3.4 Thermal requirements

Two comments.  First, probably a more important spec than absolute
temperature is the temperature stability (in terms of both rms and max
excursion allowed). Some components in the IF/LO chain will have
significant phase vs. temperature coefficients, which argue for having the
smallest temperature fluctuations.  Second, it is worth noting that teflon
undergoes a phase transition around 19C.  If it is used as the insulator
in any IF/LO coax cable, then the cabin temperature can potentially
influence the electrical length vs. temperature coefficient of this cable.
See:
http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/iel1/23/4444/00173201.pdf?arnumber=173201

We might want to get the FELO group to comment on whether there is any
specific temperature to avoid when selecting a cabin temperature.

Todd