[mmaimcal] Summary of case for OSF interferometry

Mark Holdaway mholdawa at nrao.edu
Wed Mar 23 10:35:23 EST 2005

Al,

Can we get the accuracy of the various methods declassified for this
discussion?
Also, what is the difference between Out-of-Focus Beam Maps and
Out-of-Focus Holography?

Also, Robert Lucas said that IRAM does interferometric holography using
planets, something which I had discounted in my short writeup --
so you probably WOULD get the sensitivity for panel settings from
1 baseline astronomical holography at the OSF.

The question to ME becomes:
can we set panels at the high site?
If NOT (as has been stated by Jeff), we probably need the
OSF correlator so we can do astronomical holography observations
at the OSF, plus panel settings there; otherwise, we will do
astronomical holography at the high site, bring each antenna down to
adjust panels, and then bring each antenna back up for a second time.
BASICALLY, the trade off is:

The time it takes to set up the 1-baseline correlator and do each 1-baseline
holography measurement

VS

The time it takes to bring each antenna back down and back up again, plus
any commissioning pileups that coccus because you've got a bunch of antennas
at the high site with sub-optimal surfaces (the latter may not be an
issue, as
we should be able to proceed with most commissioning work at 90 GHz
even with sub-optimal surfaces).

Anyway, thats my take.

-Mark