[mmaimcal] Summary of case for OSF interferometry

Jeff Mangum jmangum at nrao.edu
Wed Mar 23 10:45:01 EST 2005

Hi Al,

Alwyn Wootten wrote:

>Folks,
>Truth time is here--comments on the following?
>Holdaway’s simple holography simulation package in AIPS++/glish
>See https://wikio.nrao.edu/bin/view/ALMA/HoloGraphy
>Using two-element interferometric holography and the brightest compact
>celestial radio sources available, we will have enough sensitivity to
>accurately set the panels near the center of the dish, and not at the edge
>of the dish. Alternatively, using a larger cell size (0.4 m) which won't
>permit panel setting, we can very accurately confirm the surface accuracy
>of the dishes.
>Discussion: The basic question: is it worthwhile to set up a correlator at
>the OSF site to do two element holography on astronomical sources?

No. The logical sequence of antenna measurements, which has been
confirmed with measurements on the prototype antennas, is as follows:

   1. Photogrammetry: ALMA and/or the contractor do this, perhaps both
      before and after transmitter holography. Measures elevation
      dependence of surface quite accurately.
   2. Transmitter Holography: Set and verify the surface to better than
      20 micron.
   3. OOF: If a single dish radiometry system is available, then do this
      as a check of (1) and (2).

Interferometric holography is only needed later, and plays no logical
role in the large number of tasks that need to be done at the OSF.

>Note that second antenna is followed one month later by third—time for
>interferometry at the OSF is very limited.
>NOTE: if we want to do panel settings from astronomical holography at the
>AOS, we will have to wait until we have 10 antennas.
>Alternatives:
>	Tower holography provides setting at one elevation.
>       Photogrammetry provides measure of surface variation as f(el); has
>worked better than expected at ATF (numbers secret?)
>Out of focus beam maps have given good results at ATF (numbers secret?)
>Out of focus holography has given poor results at ATF owing to limitations
>of the evaluation receivers.  (Numbers secret?)

OOF beam maps and OOF holography are the same thing.

>Need estimate of accuracy at OSF with ALMA receivers.
>I think that the project might not establish an interferometer at the OSF
>and be just as well off.

I agree completely.

Cheers,

Jeff