[mmaimcal] Re: Proposed location of ACA is the Western of the three sites.

John Conway jconway at oso.chalmers.se
Tue Jan 25 07:23:02 EST 2005

Hi,

 As noted on todays agenda for the Science IPT meeting we
will be discussing the possible need to redesign the
pad layout for ALMA based on the fact that it may
have as few as 50 antennas.

If that is done then the centre of the main array will
stay more or less where it. In the context of any redesign
the choice of  the Western location for the ACA
will be the best out of the three proposed, because the ALMA
pad density here is lowest.

I can include the present W - ACA boundaries as an 'obstacle'
to be avoided in any redesign, however it may be neccessary to
move this ACA area slightly (say 50m) to fit in with any newly
placed ALMA  pads.

It would be nice to know if any definite postions have been
identified for buildings and other infrascture at the site.
I hope there is not too much of this, the more 'obstacles'
the are the harder any redesign will be.

   John