[mmaimcal] draft results of holography sensitivity calculations

Jeff Mangum jmangum at nrao.edu
Mon Dec 6 12:22:02 EST 2004

Rephrasing below...

"Bryan" == Bryan Butler <bbutler at nrao.edu> writes:

Bryan> i haven't been following this entire discussion very closely, but in
Bryan> skimming jeff's last reply ran across the appended statement, with which
Bryan> i disagree.  seems to me you will always want to do the final panel
Bryan> setting via interferometric holography.  gets you around some of the
Bryan> potential errors from doing it from a tower (near field; ground clutter;
Bryan> optics differences [if done with a special holography rx]; etc...).
Bryan> with the sensitivity of ALMA, you'll be able to find bright enough
Bryan> sources (certainly the SiO masers at least).

Bryan> whether you want to set the panels up at the high site or not is an
Bryan> operational/safety issue...

Bryan> 	-bryan

Bryan> On 12/5/04 08:49, Jeff Mangum wrote:

>> As I said above, interferometric holography serves only one purpose,
>> to check the elevation dependence of the surface.  I believe that this
>> can be done with low-spatial resolution measurements.

Should have said "...interferometric holography at the OSF...".

--- Jeff