[mmaimcal] draft results of holography sensitivity calculations

Bryan Butler bbutler at nrao.edu
Mon Dec 6 12:37:33 EST 2004

OK, more comments, since i just skimmed more deeply into the email...

the SiO masers (mostly from the envelopes of stars) will be better.
couple of hundred Jy, if memory serves.  very compact (for the purposes
of doing two-element interferometry, where you want the dishes close
together).  variable (factor of 2 or so), but so what, since you're just
doing holography.

i made a similar simulation package in IDL, which i am happy to send to
anybody if they want it.  it is described in VLBA test memos 57 (the
theory) and 62 (describing the simulations).  i also implemented it in
good old FORTRAN, which is significantly faster and doesn't need an IDL
license, but doesn't give you a nice graphical display...  it allows for
investigations of sensitivity to raster size, oversampling factor, SNR,
phase rms, amplitude rms (gain fluctuations), pointing errors (both
fixed offset and rms for both the fixed and rastering antennas), and
type of transform...

you don't have to hand wave (and i'm sure darrel can calculate this
properly, he's an expert in these things...).  the errors look like:
    e_{max} ~ l N / (pi SNR)
    e_{rms} ~ l N / (5 pi SNR)
for wavelength l, and raster size N.  again, see the above two VLBA
memos for the derivation, theoretically, and the simulations...

	-bryan