[mmaimcal]Re: reconfiguring

Bryan Butler bbutler at aoc.nrao.edu
Wed Dec 11 11:28:31 EST 2002

i agree with john here.  adapting on that short a time scale
to proposal schedule is not a good idea, IMHO.

in my mind, the way to do it is come up with a decent scheme
(the best we can given current thinking), and test it out for
a long period (at least once through the complete cycle).

if it turns out to work, fine, we're done for a bit.

if it doesn't work, then we have to fix it, which may just be
tweaking, or may be a major overhaul.  for instance, we may
find that the astronomers don't like a continual reconfiguration,
and squawk about it enough, and we have to go back to burst
reconfiguration...  the fixing comes via input from operations
and the user community.

but, again, i think it would be a bad idea to start with the
idea of immediate response to proposal pressure.  that's
something that will come over time...

	-bryan