[mmaimcal]Re: reconfiguring

Mark Holdaway mholdawa at nrao.edu
Wed Dec 11 11:38:56 EST 2002

> but, again, i think it would be a bad idea to start with the
> idea of immediate response to proposal pressure.  that's
> something that will come over time...

It is not just proposal pressure, but also unlucky weather.
Lets say you get two good storms in a row, basically taking out
the good tau conditions for 2 weeks.  After that, you are 24
moves in resolution down the road and have not been able to observe a
whole host of proposals.  OK, we wait for the Marching in the
other direction.  What if it happens again?  There will be
some irate non-observers.

I agree with the "look back at the past years and make adjustments"
approach, but with dynamic scheduling and incremental reconfiguration, it
is easy for me to imagine getting a backlog, and it is also easy for me to
imagine the array going underutilized, and I would be happier if the
reconfiguration could respond to such pressures.  One could build in
such flexibility while still meeting a fixed overall cycle time by
squeezing the entire cycle, not necesarily letting it slip.

Anyway, this is likely an executive decision.

   -Mark