[mmaimcal]Re: reconfiguring

John Conway jconway at oso.chalmers.se
Wed Dec 11 13:41:19 EST 2002

Hi,

 There is a question of how much flexibility in response
to proposal pressure one wants.  I myself was never
a fan of changing the scheduling scheme on a week
to week basis in response to proposal pressure.
In my memo 283 I present what I had in mind. I
considered that there would be differnt types of
expt, some requiring an exact resolution others with
looser requiements the more exacting ones would
be scheduled first. In this way in a zoom array you
could get the option of exactly the same resolution
at different line transitions  (which you didn't have
with fixed  arrays 2 or 3 apart in resolution).
The felxibility in sheduling was based on -WHEN-
a experiment was scheduled in the move
schedled, NOT by changing the move schedule
itself.

I was thinking that one MIGHT  change the overall
cycle scheme every cycle or two in response to
the statistics of proposals pressure, Thus if
after 9 months or 18months it seemed that the statitsics
showed a   certain array size was less popular then
for the coming 9 month schedule one would schedule there
to be  2 moves days our of every 3 through
that array size rather than 1 out of every 3
- and then move slower through the popular arrays, while
maintaining the overall cycle time - something like that.
Even in this scheme I did not envision allowing the whole
configuration cycle time to be ajustable in
reponse to proposal pressure. I think it would
be good to consider the overall cycling with repect to
seasons, try to optimise it and then keep it fixed
no matter how much internal flexibilty is
introduced within the cycle.

Of course if people think it would be desirable to
have more interaction between proposal pressure and the
reconfiguration cycle- then I guess it can be built in but
it gets complicated fast.

   John