[mmaimcal]Re: reconfiguring

Mark Holdaway mholdawa at nrao.edu
Wed Dec 11 10:54:31 EST 2002

> > how can we make a reconfiguration scheme which will
> > be flexible enough to respond to changes in proposal pressure,
> > while maintaining certain properties we are happy with
> > (ie, seaonal cycling).
>
> yep - this is the key.  but, i don't know that we have to make a scheme
> to begin with that is necessarily flexible intrinsically.  the
> flexibility is built into the pad layout, in many ways, which was
> the big reason (in my mind, at least) why the 'zoom-spirals' won out
> over the nested donuts...

A principle which can guide flexibility:

to let the time spent in each configuration be proportional to observing
pressure (or high quality observing pressure).

We have two knobs to turn:
	- speed of reconfiguration
	- amount of time spent on end points

We start with OUR reconfiguration scheme (whatever that is), and
then adjust the two knobs in responce to proposal pressure, perhaps
in a week-by-week decision process (ie, if there is a large backlog
of projects, the site director could choose to slow down
reconfiguration; if there are gaps in ALMA's use because there are no
projects at that LST and that resolution and those prevailing weather
conditions, it is time to move antennas faster).

If this flexible approach is chosen, then we have no reproducable cycling
through seasons, it just comes out the way it comes out.... and we may
move faster through summer than winter.

   -Mark