[mmaimcal]reconfiguration

Mark Holdaway mholdawa at nrao.edu
Wed Dec 11 10:44:30 EST 2002

> Hi Mark,
> Another idea:
> 4 moves/day, 3 times per week (Monday, Thursday, Saturday for example)
> Also assuming 6 weeks for compact and y+ configurations per cycle, we then
> get to the following situation:
>
> Compact (N-S sub-configuration included)         6 weeks
> March OUT                                       12 weeks
> Y+ Configuration                                  6 weeks
> March IN                                         12 weeks
> ------------
> Total: 36 weeks (9 months).
>
> So in principle you will shift 1 season (quarter of the year) per year. In
> this case Compact and Y+ configurations will shift to the opposite seasons
> every two years. Sound this right?
>
> Cheers,
> Angel

It occurs to me:  if we have a very fast cycle, this has implications on
the proposing schedule, which the software people *think* they are in
control of, but is probably an executive decision.

If we cycle through very quickly, this may imply a fast proposal
cycle and turnaround.  Also, for a configuration in the middle of the
"March", we will return to that configuration every 18 weeks.

Given the redundancy in the IN and OUT marching, I would suggest that
we either go for a cycle which is a bit longer than 1 year (also, less
time spent moving, hopefully more efficient telescope use) OR a burst
reconfiguration from COMPACT to Y+ or vise versa.

I don't think we've done a cost-benefit analysis of including a burst
reconfiguration at one end.  I guess the efficiency savings for the
slower reconfiguration to get us to a reconfiguration cycle longer than 1
year would be close to negligible (like 1%).

Take care,

   -Mark