[mmaimcal]Meeting

John Conway jconway at oso.chalmers.se
Wed Dec 11 13:10:08 EST 2002

Hi,

I guess I was thinking of having a whole cycle
longer than a year and less time in the extreme
arrays giving a rate of one move day every four,
but Mark is right one probably wants quite a
bit of time in the extreme arrays.

 Of the suggestions given I like Angels the best
Doing  an average rate of 12 moves  per week is certainly
feasible given the transporter capacity though it
means moving almost every second day which seems
just a litle high for sustained operations.
I think there is an argument for going through
the arrays between the largest spiral and the extreme
Y+ faster than the rest.

If in the move out from most compact to largest spiral
we make moves on 1 day  out of every  3, then with 2moves/day/transporter
and 2 transporters there are an average fo 1.33
antenna moves/day. It take 108 moves hence 81 days (11.5
weeks) to go from compact to largest spiral.
Moving from largest spiral to largest  Y+ if there are 42 pads
and we make moves on 2 days out of every 3 it
takes 16 days (2.3 weeks).

Assuming 6 weeks stopped in the extreme arrays the cycle time
becomes

 Compact              42 days
 Compact -max spiral  81 days
 Max spiral - max Y+  16 days
 max Y+               42 days
 Max Y+ - max spiral  16 days
 max spiral -compact  81 days
                      ----
                      278 days (39.7 weeks)

Note I make that 9 months equals 39 weeks
(not 36  as stated below)

1) It might be thought that the time to
'cycle the seasons' for the compact array
is  4 years in this scheme,  but remember
you have a compact array every 9 months
( incidently a a lot better than the VLA at one
every 16  months), so I think the time between when
the starting date of say the compact array
starts on 1 Jan and when it starts again on
1 Jan is 3 years not 4, see the schedule below.

Put another way it in fact takes 18 months not two
years to switch to the opposite season.

2) In a Zig-Zag reconfiguration cycle scheme
as opposed to the sawtooth of the VLA the
'time to cycle' the seasons depend on which
configuration you are in. Its longest for the
extreme arrays (compact and extreme Y+). For
the intermediate arrays it will be 4.5 months
between when such configurations repeat not 9
months. I havn't worked out the time to
'Cycle the seasons' for these intermediates.

3) I'm not sure  a rational mumber for the
ratio of cycle time to year is needed, perhaps
a cycle time of 40 or 41 weeks is as good
or better that 39  days (9 Months).

4) Are there times of year we definitely
DON'T want to be in the compact or extreme
arrays (the Bolivian winter pehaps) we can schedule
one of the intermediate arrays for this (since they
occur every 4.5 months anyways its not too much loss).
If we work such factors in this would argue for
a rational fraction between  cycle time and 1 year
and for a particular phasing of that cycle.

   John