[mmaimcal] Re: ALMA total power integration times

Jeff Mangum jmangum at tuc.nrao.edu
Thu Aug 17 15:25:56 EDT 2000

Hi Brian,

"Brian" == Brian Glendenning <bglenden at nrao.edu> writes:

>> might be a little more complicated.  The main scientific use of
>> the total power measurement would be on-the-fly (OTF) mapping, and
>> there we do not really want to average anything.

Brian> I think even for OTF mapping one would generally want to average down since
Brian> the 2ms TP "dump time" was set so that we could sample the primary beam
Brian> adequately at ~900GHz. Presumably at lower frequencies the integration time
Brian> should (or at least could) go up by something like the ratio of the
Brian> frequencies.

Brian> Cheers,
Brian> Brian

If the antenna tracks perfectly, the averging you suggest would be
ok.  We toyed with the idea of doing this with the 12m system, by
allowing the observer to set the dump time, but thought that it was
too big a noose with which the observer could hang himself with.

Cheers,

Jeff