[mmaimcal] Re: ALMA total power integration times

Brian Glendenning bglenden at nrao.edu
Thu Aug 17 15:36:17 EDT 2000

> If the antenna tracks perfectly, the averging you suggest would be
> ok.  We toyed with the idea of doing this with the 12m system, by
> allowing the observer to set the dump time, but thought that it was
> too big a noose with which the observer could hang himself with.

Thanks.

I would have thought that so long as you were better than Nyquist sampling
the beam that all would be OK (I think 2ms would be something like 30
samples/beam if I got my sums right). But maybe it doesn't hurt to always
dump at the fastest rate - the main cost is presumably in post-processing
time and disk space?

What are the non-OTF observations that would use the TP detector, and are
2ms integrations OK there as well? (We're mostly interested in the test
interferometer at present, but anything known about the array observing
modes are also interesting).

Cheers,
Brian