[mmaimcal] proto-memo

Mark Holdaway mholdawa at nrao.edu
Fri Oct 15 18:06:40 EDT 1999

> By the way, its clear that the 30-45 GHz band for ALMA is under assault,
> and some memos describing the scientific drivers for inclusion of this
> band will be needed.  John Carlstrom is working on one that I think
> focuses on the CMBR and SZE.  A second one detailing other uses might
> be in order.  Those of you with interests in this band might want to
> start thinking of some good things to include.  Having been thrust
> forward by the MAC as the designated 30 GHz defender at the meeting,
> I guess I can coordinate to making of this memo.
>
>    -steve

I wrote MMA Memo 138 in 1995 to compare the MMA's basic Q band
capabilities with the VLA's.  Tthe generic argument against the MMA
having Q band was that the VLA had it, but this memo really emphasized
that the VLA barely had Q band, especially for wide field applications.

These arguments were devoid of scientific content, but were based on
the proposition that filling observational phase space was a valid
thing (after all, that is what we are trying to do in the rest of
the millimeter and submillimeter range).

The numbers are no longer valid (ie, more antennas, somewhat more
realistic --ie, higher-- system temperatures, larger dishes), so the
calculations will need to be redone; but the conclusions will still be
the same.

	-Mark