[mmaimcal] Agenda for meeting Mon, 18 January 1999 at 4pm EST.

Al Wootten awootten at nrao.edu
Fri Jan 15 15:41:47 EST 1999

MMA Imaging and Calibration Group

Agenda for meeting Mon, 18 January 1999 at 4pm EST.

Date: 18 January 1999

Time: 4:00 pm EST (2:00 pm Socorro, 2:00 pm Tucson)

Phone: (804)296-7082 (CV SoundStation Premier Conference phone).

Past minutes, etc on MMA Imaging and Calibration Division Page

Agenda

--------

Antenna Pointing - Lugten

Results of calculations of expected dynamic range and fidelity for various
wavelengths and a few combinations of anomalous refraction and wind loading
to see if the antenna performance is adequate for the sub-millimeter science
we are proposing to do with the MMA. John has FAXed copies of his
calculations to Peter at the AOC and Al in CV.

Receiver Priorities - Wootten

The MAC said in November:

'It is unreasonable to expect all 9-10 receivers to be completed for 60 or
more telescopes by the time the MMA/LSA comes on-line. Therefore the plan to
install only three bands initially is reasonable. We recommend that two of
the 3 bands should definitely be 90 GHz and 650 GHz. The third could be
either 230 GHz or 345 GHz; compelling arguments for either can be made. The
MAC favored 230 GHz over 350 GHz, but only marginally.

The remainder of the receivers should be installed as rapidly as possible.
The MAC foresees a major operation installing more than 400 additional
receivers, the logistics of which will have to be carefully planned. There
should be a priority ordering of the subsequent bands to be installed as
part of the plan of deployment and a time line should be worked out. The
preferred sequence of receiver installation should be established on the
basis of community input, either via the MAC and its European counter part
or at the Science meeting next year. '

As I read this, the first priority for bands lies with 90-115, 230, 650, 350
GHz. That is, using the numbering and frequencis from MMA Memo 213,

Band No. 3, 89-116 GHz

Band No. 6, 211-275 GHz

Band No. 9, 602-720 GHz

Band No. 7, 275-370 GHz

The MAC seems to favor reserving judgment on the subsequent sequencing of
receiver installation. I'll jump the gun and make a proposal. After that, I
would recommend the order be

Band No. 2, 67-90 GHz

Band No. 4, 125-163 GHz

Band No. 5, 163-211 GHz

Band No. 8, 385-500 GHz

Band No. 1, 30-40 GHz

Band No. 10, 787-950 GHz

which I propose for a discussion topic at our Imaging and Calibration
Meeting next week, and for the MAC, which might meet as scheduled 13 Jan.

Eurotasks -- Wootten

Looks like the European-US meeting in Tucson may occur 21-23 Feb 1999. What
MMA Imaging and Calibration tasks might the Europeans aid us in?

1. Investigation of 183 GHz phase correction systems. This would be a
continuation of the current program, in which one 183 GHz radiometer is
situated at each end of the 12 GHz interferometer baseline at Chajnantor.

2. Investigation of total power imaging modes. The continuing 'DREAM' mode
and related modes at the JCMT, as well as characterization of 1/f noise in
SIS receivers, could help us to understand problems associated with
sensitive total power observing modes.

3. Soil sampling.

Fall 99 Meeting - Wootten

Note that the 12m '30th birthday meeting' will be of substantial interest to
our group:

6- 9 Jun 'Imaging at Radio through Submillimeter Wavelengths' meeting in
Tucson

Text of a letter I sent to the proposed SOC of the September 1999 meeting:

As you may know, a meeting of U. S. and European scientists is being planned
for the Fall of 1999 in Washington, D. C. The goal of the meeting is to
review the scientific program planned for the joint array and how that
program interacts with the science goals of other astronomical facilities
expected to be operational at the time that the MMA/LSA becomes operational.

The time and venue of this meeting are planned for maximum impact on the
Congress, as the United States portion of the MMA/LSA construction budget
will be coming under consideration by the Office of the Budget and Congress
during the period Fall 1999-Fall 2000.

In November, members of the U. S. Millimeter Array Advisory Committee (MAC)
agreed to serve as the Scientific Organizing Committee (SOC) for this
meeting. In expectation of a memorandum of understanding being signed by the
European Negotiating Team for the LSA and NSF/NRAO before the meeting, I
invite the members of the LSA Advisory Committee to join the SOC.

An excellent venue for the meeting has been found at the historic,
neoclassical building housing the Carnegie Institution of Washington
(http://sak.ciw.edu/) 1530 P Street, N.W. Washington, DC 20005 not far from
the White House, the AAS, AUI or most embassies. The meeting will occur in
the large auditorium (capacity about 400). Just outside the auditorium is a
foyer which can accommodate poster papers. We anticipate attendance by
between 100 and 200 scientists and officials at a meeting lasting two days.

Since maximum impact upon Congress and the budget are targets of the
meeting, it should be held after the Labor Day holiday weekend (Sept. 4-6).
The facility is available 16-17 September or 23-24 September. I suggest that
16-17 September might have less impact on University schedules, allowing
more scientists to attend.

I invite your participation in the meeting and its planning. Please begin by
commenting on the dates for the meeting, and with discussion on major topics
to be addressed.

Anyway, I propose to get a list of available dates and nominate this whole
bunch as the SOC, letting people decline to serve rather than offer to do
so. The list of SOC members is therefore (the MAC and the SAC make the SOC):

MAC:
John Bieging
Geoff Blake
John Carlstrom
Ed Churchwell
Ewine van Dishoeck
Neal Erickson
Neal Evans
Mark Gurwell
Richard Hills
Gill Knapp
Jim Moran
Luis Rodriguez
Pete Schloerb
Jean Turner
Eric Wilcots

SAC:
Karl Menten (Chair)
Roy Booth
Stephane Guilloteau
Malcolm Walmsley
Peter Shaver (Secretary)
with Ewine and Richard on both committees. I will CC:
Masato Ishiguro

--------

Action Items 18Jan99

------

--------

Travel

------

T. Helfer:

A. Wootten: 3-6 Feb (12m observing) 8-9 Feb (MMA talk at SPECS conference)
16 Feb (43m observing)

J. Mangum:

M. Yun:

B. Butler: