shadowing

Tamara Helfer thelfer at tuc.nrao.edu
Thu Jan 14 11:37:56 EST 1999

Dear Leonia,

A small comment on your imaging simulations -- I would guess
that your software is not checking for shadowed data.
Is it right that your circle array is something like 100m
in diameter, and that the dish diameter is 10m?  If so,
then your dishes are unphysically close together -- since
36*10m = 360m circumference, but pi*100m = 314m only.
This is also why the hole in the uv plane was smaller for the
circular array -- it's smaller because the antennas are
unphysically close together, and there are baselines
smaller than 10m.

Independent of this issue, I think it would be a more interesting
comparison if you looked at a ring array that wasn't so symmetric
as you have chosen.  What if you chose instead one of your
optimized donuts for comparison with your optimized filled array?

Best regards,

	Tamara

----- End Included Message -----