[fitswcs] SIP scheme

Doug Mink dmink at cfa.harvard.edu
Fri Aug 20 16:20:35 EDT 2004

Richard Hook wrote:
> As some of you may be aware the Spitzer Science Center (SSC) has adopted the
> "SIP" scheme for the representation of non-linear geometric distortion in
> their FITS image products (http://ssc.spitzer.caltech.edu/documents/
> distortion_v1.4.pdf).  This is inspired by, and based on, preliminary Paper IV
> FITS work, but is distinct from it.
> I have been discussing this with David Shupe, who is lead author of the above
> memo, and we are planning to hold a brief discussion of this work at the
> forthcoming FITS BoF at ADASS in Pasadena at the end of October.

I think the SIP distortion scheme would be a good topic for
an ADASS poster.  A brief presentation on it at the FITS BoF,
with some examples, would be a good illustration to the FITS
world of what a distortion model can do for real world data.

-Doug Mink (whose implementation of SIP is in WCSTools, SAOimage, and ds9)