[fitswcs] SIP scheme

rhook at eso.org rhook at eso.org
Fri Aug 20 15:25:02 EDT 2004

Dear Colleagues,

As some of you may be aware the Spitzer Science Center (SSC) has adopted the
"SIP" scheme for the representation of non-linear geometric distortion in
their FITS image products (http://ssc.spitzer.caltech.edu/documents/
distortion_v1.4.pdf).  This is inspired by, and based on, preliminary Paper IV
FITS work, but is distinct from it.  (Note that the latest draft of Paper IV,
posted in  April 2004, has changed significantly from the early draft
referenced in the January 2004 SSC memo.)

Here at STScI we are also considering the possible adoption of this convention
for HST - although discussions are at a very early stage and this certainly
may not ultimately happen. This raises the question of the status and
evolution of this convenient, de facto, standard  within the FITS world. SIP
is already quite widely implemented in data handling tools (WCSTools/libwcs,
SAOImage, DS9, GAIA/Starlink AST, IDLAstro, and recently drizzle too, in
addition to Spitzer-specific software).

I have been discussing this with David Shupe, who is lead author of the above
memo, and we are planning to hold a brief discussion of this work at the
forthcoming FITS BoF at ADASS in Pasadena at the end of October.

This message is just an invitation for comments, both to this list and
possibly by coming along to the BoF at ADASS.

Best Regards, Richard Hook (ST-ECF/STScI) & David Shupe (IPAC/SSC)