[fitswcs] Re: fitswcs digest, Vol 1 #67 - 4 msgs

Wayne Landsman landsman at mpb.gsfc.nasa.gov
Tue Aug 24 16:20:09 EDT 2004

Richard Hook wrote:

>Here at STScI we are also considering the possible adoption of this convention
>for HST - although discussions are at a very early stage and this certainly
>may not ultimately happen. This raises the question of the status and
>evolution of this convenient, de facto, standard  within the FITS world. SIP
>is already quite widely implemented in data handling tools (WCSTools/libwcs,
>SAOImage, DS9, GAIA/Starlink AST, IDLAstro, and recently drizzle too, in
>addition to Spitzer-specific software).

I am currently reprocessing all the images obtained with the Ultraviolet Imaging
Telescope (UIT) and plan to apply the SIP scheme in the reprocessed FITS
headers.

I note that the latest draft of Paper IV diverges even more strongly from the
SIP scheme (e.g. in the use "record value" keywords) in order to accomodate more
general transformations.   I would hope that the SIP scheme could be
"grandfathered in", similar to the way that the AIPS formalism of CROTA/CDELT is
recognized as a valid WCS projection in Paper II.

Wayne Landsman                       landsman at mpb.gsfc.nasa.gov