[fitsbits] [EXT] DOI for FITS standard document?

Lucio Chiappetti lucio at lambrate.inaf.it
Tue May 5 06:02:16 EDT 2020

On Fri, 1 May 2020, William Pence wrote:

> Would getting a DOI automatically cause the ADS to include it?

Even if not automatic, I suppose one can always report a document manually
to ADS. Maybe Jessica Mink or Arnold Rots can contact some ADS person in
house ?

About getting a DOI a quick search finds
https://www.doi.org/faq.html
https://www.doi.org/RA_Coverage.html
I'll have a look to the Crossref and DataCite pages for conditions

Incidentally, my institution is setting up an "open access server"
(apparently there is now a legal obligation to publish open-access) and we
are feeding it with our 2015-2019 authored and coauthored stuff (since it
will be required for a national research quality evaluation). I asked how
could refer to FITS 4.0 in such context.

> Submitting version 4.0 of the FITS document to the arXiv archive service
> would be one simple path to getting it picked up by the ADS.

maybe I am oldfashioned, but I always interpreted arXiv as a replacement
for the old "preprints" (the ones sent by surface mail !) i.e. I submit to
arXiv only papers once accepted in a refereed journal or conference
proceedings once submitted. I do not see arXiv as a way to bypass usual
peer review. This approach is part of the rules in several collaborations.

> Also, Lucio asked: “Concerning the 4.0 version of the standard its
> current official repository is at HEASARC" ... While I cannot make an
> authoritative reply, ...

But you know who can, and could contact him/her ?

--
Lucio Chiappetti - INAF/IASF - via Corti 12 - I-20133 Milano (Italy)