[fitsbits] [EXT] DOI for FITS standard document?

William Pence wdpence2000 at yahoo.com
Fri May 1 13:31:02 EDT 2020

Simply getting a DOI for the latest FITS Standard document may not solve the more basic issue of making that document more widely known and accessible to the astronomical community. As far as I can tell, the latest version 4.0 of the FITS Standard is not catalogued in the ADS (Astrophysical Data System) bibliographic service.  Currently, the ADS appears to only catalogue the published A&A Supplement versions from 2010 and 2001. Would getting a DOI automatically cause the ADS to include it?  Submitting version 4.0 of the FITS document to the arXiv archive service would be one simple path to getting it picked up by the ADS.

Also, Lucio asked:
 “Concerning the 4.0 version of the standard its current official repository is at HEASARC https://fits.gsfc.nasa.gov/fits_standard.html. I would like to know if (the emeritus) Bill Pence, who originally set up the site, has any comment on this (particularly on long term maintenance).”
While I cannot make an authoritative reply, I don’t foresee any issues with maintaining the FITS Website at the HEASARC for the next few years at least. Support for the FITS format is a central requirement for the HEASARC data archive, so it is in their interest to maintain information about FITS.

Regards,
Bill