[fitsbits] DOI for FITS standard document?

Seaman, Robert Lewis - (rseaman) rseaman at arizona.edu
Fri May 1 10:31:59 EDT 2020

Hi Lucio,

Glad to hear from you!

The previous IAU FITS WG enlarged into the Data Representation WG at the time that IAU Commission 5 was refactored into Commission B2:

	https://www.iau.org/science/scientific_bodies/working_groups/314/

FITS is an international standard and an international organization like IAU should be regarded as the sponsor. As you say, IAU itself traces upward through other broader international science bodies, ultimately to the U.N. one supposes. My reading is that the IAU Comm B2 DRWG should be regarded as the responsible body, having, in effect, deputized NASA to work on v4.0.

IVOA was previously under the IAU Comm 5 WG "Virtual Observatories, Data Centers & Networks". This no longer appears as a separate WG under Comm B2:

	https://www.iau.org/science/scientific_bodies/commissions/B2/

In the absence of any action having been taken by the IVOA to find a new international sponsor, the options are that Comm B2 now has direct oversight responsibilities for IVOA (albeit rarely requested or invoked), or conceivably that IVOA is now completely standalone. The latter would seem to me to convey no benefit and significant risk, for instance to local interop hosts.

The IVOA might consider proposing a new Working Group or even a new IAU Commission in support of its activities. In any event this would most likely fall under Div B:

	https://www.iau.org/science/scientific_bodies/divisions/B/

Note that IAU WGs can be formed at either the Commission or Divisional level, e.g., the Time Domain WG which moved from Commission 5/B2 to Division B at the 2018 GA:

	https://www.iau.org/science/scientific_bodies/working_groups/260/

Best wishes,

Rob