[fitsbits] reopening of Public Comment Period on the compression conventions

William Thompson William.T.Thompson at nasa.gov
Thu Jan 14 17:30:52 EST 2016

Since we've now moved into the petabyte era in many areas of astronomy, and are
closing on the exabyte era, I don't think this restriction to only lossless
compression is supportable anymore.  It's the responsibility of the data
provider to make sure that the data are presented with sufficient quality to
achieve the scientific requirements.  As I pointed out before, many space
missions already use lossy compression schemes to keep within their telemetry
limitations.

Bill Thompson