[fitsbits] reopening of Public Comment Period on the compression conventions

Joe Hourcle oneiros at grace.nascom.nasa.gov
Thu Jan 14 23:29:29 EST 2016

On Thu, 14 Jan 2016, William Thompson wrote:

> Since we've now moved into the petabyte era in many areas of astronomy, and
> are closing on the exabyte era, I don't think this restriction to only
> lossless compression is supportable anymore.  It's the responsibility of the
> data provider to make sure that the data are presented with sufficient
> quality to achieve the scientific requirements.  As I pointed out before,
> many space missions already use lossy compression schemes to keep within
> their telemetry limitations.

I'm going to have to agree with Bill on this one.

Although serving only uncompressed data may be better for archiving and
ensuring that data can be read by all people, it may result in people
assuming that there is more precision than is actually available.

Scientists should hopefully read all of the caveats before using the data,
but the compressed data would give them a better idea of how much signal
there actually was.

And it gives us something to point people to when they ask us about the
'UFOs bigger than the Earth orbiting the Sun'.  (ie, typically compression
artifacts around cosmic ray or solar energetic particle hits).

I believe that we're also required to archive all data as it comes down
from the satellite for the missions that we support, and it'd be nice to
use FITS for this, rather than maintaining another set of tools to read an
alternate file format.

-Joe

-----
Joe Hourcle