[fitsbits] reopening of Public Comment Period on the compression conventions

Demitri Muna demitri.muna at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 15:32:18 EST 2016

Hi,

I don’t have any opinions on compression algorithms, but I want to note that I’m opposed to the FITS format supporting any lossy compression as part of the format. FITS should be archival, and I think that any lossy representation of data (e.g. a thumbnail) should be created outside of the file. Lossy algorithms can improve dramatically over time with the increase of CPU speed (see the ~50% space improvement from H.264 to H.265 for the same quality). Thumbnails are extremely cheap to create and cache and become cheaper to do so over time with faster I/O and CPU. It’s common in archives to have jpg files next to FITS files for this reason - I don’t see a benefit to building this into the format. Keep things light.

Cheers,
Demitri

Demitri Muna

Department of Astronomy