[fitsbits] start of Public Comment Period on the column limits convention

Tom McGlynn tom.mcglynn at nasa.gov
Sun Jun 28 10:38:32 EDT 2015

I've thought of a few more questions on this proposal that are unclear
at least to me:

   - Can these keywords be used to refer to columns that are vector
valued.  If so does
the limit apply to each element of the vector?  The analogy to BUNIT
suggests yes,
but the wording regarding 'same type data type as physical values' is
ambiguous.  If the plural refers to the rows separately then this is
precluded, but if the plural applies within the row, then vectors may be
allowed.
   - Should there be a mechanism to allow for min/max values of
strings?  Is it illegal
to extend these keywords to use for non-integer/floating point data?
(i.e., strings, complex,
bit, boolean)?   I think the answer to that is yes, but I believe it
should be explicit.
   - Is it legal to have  an integer limit and a floating point column?
Vice versa?
   - If limits on vector valued columns are allowed, then the situation
for complex values is slightly more confused.  Do we allow a real limit
which applies to each of the components of the complex in the same
fashion as it would apply to each element of a vector?
   - The language suggested in 7.2.2 might suggest that the use of these
keywords is mandatory. While this is addressed elsewhere I might suggest
a language like:
   "When describing... a user <shall>..."
  The current phrase
    "To describe...  a user <shall> ..."
sounds to me (at least in isolation) like this is something a user has
to do, as opposed to the required way of doing something if a user
chooses to do it.

[I think this applies to some extent to other keywords in the standard too.]

     Tom