[fitsbits] start of Public Comment Period on the INHERIT convention

Mark Taylor m.b.taylor at bristol.ac.uk
Tue Jun 23 09:14:42 EDT 2015

Dear fitsbits,

The proposed INHERIT convention looks a bit questionable to me.

The FITSBITS discussion digest referenced on the inherit
convention registration page
(http://fits.gsfc.nasa.gov/registry/inherit/fitsbits.txt)
expresses several concerns which don't seem to me to have been
conclusively addressed, especially in the context of adopting
this convention as part of the standard itself.  I don't however
have the leisure or energy to participate in a re-run of those
arguments now.

The main worry I have is the possibility of INHERITed keywords
that make a significant difference to the way that an inheriting
HDU is processed.  For instance if a PHDU has a set of TFORMn
keywords that are INHERITed by subsequent BINTABLE extensions
(which themselves lack those keywords), then the file will look
legal to a reader which is aware of INHERIT but illegal to one
which is not.  In that context, Lucio's comment:

On Mon, 22 Jun 2015, Lucio Chiappetti wrote:

> INHERIT       : 1 keyword, honour it or not

seems to be understating its impact.  The same applies to a lesser
extent to TTYPEn and other T*n keywords.

(You might argue that the inclusion of TFORMn in the Mandatory
list of sec 7.3.1 precludes omitting it from a BINTABLE extension -
though "the exact merging mechanism is left up to the application"
looks to allow that at least as an option - but that doesn't
apply for the reserved keywords TTYPEn et al.).

The comment about BSCALE and BZERO suggests (? I think, though I'm
not sure) that the intention here is *not* to encourage inheritance
of 'structural' keywords like the T*n BINTABLE ones.
However, on my reading of the proposed text this kind of thing
is not actually prohibited, and software following the standard's
"should" prescription concerning INHERIT would have to merge
PHDU T*n keywords marked as inherited in this way.

Is the proposal in fact intended to permit and/or encourage
inheritance of 'structural' keywords like BINTABLE TFORMn and TTYPEn?
I feel at the very least this should be clarified in the text.
(And I still might not like it even then.)

Mark