[fitsbits] start of Public Comment Period on the column limits convention

Tom McGlynn (NASA/GSFC Code 660.1) tom.mcglynn at nasa.gov
Thu Jun 25 11:38:23 EDT 2015

One question that I'd like to see clarified for these keyword is whether
if a have
   TDMINx and TDMAXx
that there is required to be an actual row I can point to which has this
value?

Do we need to worry about round off errors between the binary and text
representation of numbers?
E.g., suppose a number x is the minimum value in a table and
    d.dddddddddddd
is way that, e..g, Java, renders this value at full precision.
I write
     TDMINx = d.ddddddddd
Have we violated the FITS standard if in infinite precision arithmetic
d.ddddddddd is actually > x.

Alternatively do I have an error if I decide to address this issue but
subtracting a small delta from the minimum
such that my actual the value I have in the TDMINx is a teeny bit less
than x.

Not sure of how we address this precision issue but I think the language
currently is to restrictive.

     Tom McGlynn