[fitsbits] start of Public Comment Period on the INHERIT convention

Mark Calabretta mark at calabretta.id.au
Mon Jul 6 11:00:26 EDT 2015

On Thu, 2 Jul 2015 09:51:26 -0700
Steve Allen <sla at ucolick.org> wrote:

> > Presumably you don't see that as a problem because you never intend for
> > them to leave your observatory.
>
> These FITS files are shared among all parties who have use of the Keck
> telescopes, and their content enables automated data reduction.

Using shared software that "knows" about this data.  After all, you
could hide the metadata in the least significant bits of the image data,
understood only by those "in the know", and it would still conform to
the FITS standard.

> I still do not see that the conventions used by these Keck instruments
> demand making a change to the FITS standard.

It doesn't, but we are being asked to consider it.

Regards,
Mark Calabretta