[fitsbits] start of Public Comment Period on the INHERIT convention

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Thu Jul 2 12:51:26 EDT 2015

On Fri 2015-07-03T00:28:54 +1000, Mark Calabretta hath writ:
> On Wed, 1 Jul 2015 12:19:43 -0700
> Steve Allen <sla at ucolick.org> wrote:
>
> > Whereas we are effectively relying on the conventions of the INHERIT
> > keyword, we did not choose to use the INHERIT keyword.  The usage in
> > the FITS files from DEIMOS, HIRES, and LRIS is sensible, legal, and
> > not part of the FITS standard.  I do not object to making INHERIT part
> > of the standard.  I also do not see the need to add the complexity of
> > INHERIT to the FITS standard.
>
> Essentially you are saying that your "FITS" files are not transportable.
>
> So they're actually in FIS format (FITS minus "Transport").
>
> Presumably you don't see that as a problem because you never intend for
> them to leave your observatory.

These FITS files are shared among all parties who have use of the Keck
telescopes, and their content enables automated data reduction.
If that merits classification as not transportable then so be it.
I still do not see that the conventions used by these Keck instruments
demand making a change to the FITS standard.

--
Steve Allen                 <sla at ucolick.org>               WGS-84 (GPS)
UCO/Lick Observatory--ISB   Natural Sciences II, Room 165   Lat  +36.99855