[fitsbits] start of Public Comment Period on the INHERIT convention

Frank Valdes valdes at noao.edu
Wed Jul 1 14:30:12 EDT 2015

Come on (!), talking about alternate formats is not helpful.  DECam is generating a huge amount of data (arguably the biggest optical data source in the world) on an almost daily basis.  The raw data is an MEF and uses INHERIT.  The calibrated data produces MEF with INHERIT.  All mosaic data that NOAO has in its archive, -- >10 yrs of Mosaic, > 5 yrs of NEWFIRM, DECAM -- is in this format.  I echo that binary tables seems more complex to many people and I really agree with Bill T. that people look at the primary header first and I've found it very useful (and used in the pipeline) to just check the primary header for some information.

The only complications I've encountered is people that have software that doesn't support INHERIT.  Making an image cube for a mosaic would be a new convention which almost no software (e.g. DS9) would not support.

Frank