[fitsbits] Associating ancillary data with primary HDU

Randy Thompson rthomp at stsci.edu
Fri May 9 17:17:43 EDT 2014

Hi Bill,

This is actually the application that first prompted the Image extension
to be proposed as a FITS standard. Before the binary table extension was
adopted, the IUE project wanted to store an array of data quality flags
with an associated image. The image was stored as a primary array, the
data quality flags as an image extension.

Randy Thompson