[fitsbits] Associating ancillary data with primary HDU

Paul Hirst phirst at gemini.edu
Fri May 9 16:39:03 EDT 2014

Bill, all,

I think this is very analogous to the practice of storing variance and
data quality in image extensions following the data values.

I may be wrong, but I believe it's more common to have an header only PHU
and to store all the pixel values (be they data value, variance, quality
flags, object masks, exposure time, etc etc) as subsequent extensions. We
do this at Gemini, STSci does similar I believe. I guess the reason we go
for the header only PHU and put everything in extensions is that it keeps
it more symmetric when you have multiple data arrays, for example multiple
detectors in the same instrument, each of which generate a primary data
array and zero or more ancillary data arrays.

Of course with multi-extension FITS in this manner you have to keep track
yourself of which of the arrays are associated with which others, as the
MEF structure is intrinsically flat rather than hierarchal. We do this
using the EXTNAME and EXTVER keywords.

Paul.