[fitsbits] Associating ancillary data with primary HDU

Lucio Chiappetti lucio at lambrate.inaf.it
Mon May 12 04:21:05 EDT 2014

On Fri, 9 May 2014, Randy Thompson wrote:

> This is actually the application that first prompted the Image extension
> to be proposed as a FITS standard.

I was going to say something similar (actually I might have been confusing
the two posters with same surname :-)) ... I remember image arrays with
ancillary data (quality, bad pixels, fiducial marks) for IUE (perhaps even
pre-dating usage of FITS ... didn't the old VICAR format have something
like that).  The IMAGE extension was originally called IUEIMAGE when it
still was a private proposed convention.

Therefore I consider the fact of having primary data and ancillary data in
arrays of equal dimensionality a well established (and well
understandable) usage.

Whether the primary data is in the PHDU ("HDU0") or the PHDU is dataless
and it is in the first extension ("HDU1") is just a matter of taste.

The alternative (to add a further NAXISn increasing the dimensionality of
the array to include "layers" for ancillary data) seems to me less "neat"
(although it allows some space saving in header overheads), I've seen it
sometimes used for 1-d spectra (stored in a NAXIS=2 array, where things
like quality, background, gross vs net etc. are stored in further "image
rows").  One can spend less time administering header kwds, but the
resulting "documentation" is less neat. Could be acceptable for a local
private usage, but less for a public long term archiving.