[fitsbits] Questions about the 'REFERENC' keyword.

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Wed Jan 30 10:55:54 EST 2013

Joe Hourcle wrote:
> I had some questions about the REFERENC keyword:
>
> 	http://archive.stsci.edu/fits/fits_standard/node40.html#SECTION00942320000000000000
>
> 	REFERENC Keyword
>
> 	The value field shall contain a character string citing a reference
> 	where the data associated with the header are published.
>

> I could see a few different interpretations of this:
>
> 	1. It's similar to the 'FITS Serialization' in VOTable, where you
> 	   don't have the data attached, and can instead give a URL:
>
> 	   http://www.ivoa.net/Documents/VOTable/20121205/votable.html#ToC36
>
> 	   (although, in this case, I don't know if the URL would go to a
> 	   complete FITS file, or the data portion without the HDU)
>
> 	2. A URL to the archive or repository are available to
> 	   download from
>
> 	3. A reference (citation, URL, DOI or bibcode) to a published
> 	   research article that uses the data.
>
> 	4. A URL to a website with documentation on using the
> 	   data
>
> So, question 1 : Which one is it intended to be used for?
>
> The only real-world examples that I've managed to find so far is
> WMAP LAMBDA, which seems to use it for a mix of 2, 3 & 4... but I don't
> know that it's valid to define it multiple times:
>
> 	http://lambda.gsfc.nasa.gov/product/map/dr5/templates_fitshdr.cfm
>
> And GOODS/FORS2, which gives a bibcode for the first results paper:
>
> 	http://archive.eso.org/cms/eso-data/eso-data-products/data-submission/spectrum-header.html
>

> And question 2 is only partially related :
>
> As it doesn't seem to be used for use #1, is there some standard way of
> providing a complete HDU with some reference to data that's not attached?
>
> I have some scientists who would like to review if the data's what they
> want *before* they download really large files ... and I'd rather use
> something FITS HDU-like, so they hopefully don't have to modify their
> existing tools as much.

Since no one has responded to your question, I will give an answer of sorts.

When the keyword was invented, only one of the concepts listed above was
even conceivable - a published article citation.  That was the authors'
intent with the keyword and it would not rule out multiple REFERENC
keywords with different values for multiple citations.

FITS files were and are expected to contain the data which they
describe, so I am uncomfortable with the file containing solely some URL
pointer.  Since URL's do not retain their value over time at all well
the information may become obsolete anyway.   A URL should point to the
complete FITS file that the user would want so that their reader can
swallow it should they choose to download it.

I do understand the need for a modest sized data "catalog" to allow
users to browse and then select the data files for downloading.  I
suppose you could use dataless FITS files to describe each of the
large-data FITS files.  But those dataless files would have to be
legitimate FITS files (e.g. NAXIS=0 or NAXISj = 0) and so would not look
precisely the same as the actual data.  However, I thought this was the
role of the VO, or at NRAO, our own home-brew data catalog web browser.

The formal answer is that the use of this keyword is not really defined
and you may use it in multiple instances in any way that suites your
needs.  However, that also applies to all other FITS writers, so it may
be dangerous the have whole applications dependent on specific meanings
for the value of the REFERENC keyword.