[fitsbits] Questions about the 'REFERENC' keyword.

Lucio Chiappetti lucio at lambrate.inaf.it
Wed Jan 30 11:37:24 EST 2013

On Wed, 30 Jan 2013, Eric Greisen wrote:

> Since no one has responded to your question, I will give an answer of
> sorts.

I waited for somebody else to show up before giving my opinions

> Joe Hourcle wrote:

>> 	3. A reference (citation, URL, DOI or bibcode) to a published
>> 	   research article that uses the data.
>> 	4. A URL to a website with documentation on using the
>> 	   data

> When the keyword was invented, only one of the concepts listed above was
> even conceivable - a published article citation.

I tend to agree with Eric. I.e. case (3). A literature reference, a
bibcode or a DOI should be long-lived. The bibcode or DOI could be
translated into an URL prepending the name of some server (like e.g. one
of the present ADS sites), but we have no guarantee these particular
servers will exist if one will look at the file 20 or 100 years in the
future (while the bibcode or DOI could probably be used to lookup
elsewhere). Of course if the expected lifespan of the file is much less,
no problem in using an URL.

I believe case (4) may also be acceptable, although I'd expect such
information to show up in comments (if at all).

>> 	1. It's similar to the 'FITS Serialization' in VOTable, where you
>> 	   don't have the data attached, and can instead give a URL:
>> 	2. A URL to the archive or repository are available to
>> 	   download from

Not really clear to me ... (3) and (4) point to a document which REFERS TO
(INTO ?) the current file. But (1) and (2) seems to refer OUT of the
current file to elsewhere !

> I do understand the need for a modest sized data "catalog" to allow
> users to browse and then select the data files for downloading.

Hmm, my way to do this sort of things would be (actually is, I have a
couple of survey databases organized that way) to have a database
somewhere ('the catalog') and associated data products linked to a
particular database column.

If I do a query, it will return a list of "objects", and a list of
distinct available data products (in forms of URLs). The number of data
products need not to be related to the n records returned by the query.

For instance if the dataproduct is a thumbnail image around the object, or
a spectrum, there will be one for each of the n objects, indexed on the
object sequence number.

But if the dataproduct is an X-ray image of the entire field where the
objects are, it could be that the n objects are in just p << n fields, so
there will be p images, indexed on the field identifier.

The way I do it, the URL is constructed on the fly from templates stored
in an administrative database, replacing a placeholder with the value of
the associated index column.

Now what is proposed ? To defer the database search to the home of the
user which has retrieved the FITS catalog ? Using a custom FITS reader ?

> I suppose you could use dataless FITS files to describe each of the
> large-data FITS files.

One does not need a dataless file (nor it is an optimal solution) to a
make a "portable FITS database". The right way to go is probably a
BINTABLE where the *variable part* of the URLs is stored in some column
(the fixed template could be stored in a custom keyword, and handled by
the custom reader).  So a row in a BINTABLE not a multiple keyword.

Different story is if the remote user wants to see the dataproduct FITS
header before deciding whether to retrieve the bulky data portion.

This could be handled in different ways. One is to have the header and
data stored separately in their site, and having URLs pointing to a CGI
which either retrieves the dataless header, or merges header and data
before sending.

Another would be to have a custom client which can retrieve from the FITS
file until the END keyword of the header ignoring the data part. It is not
difficult to write e.g. a sequential FITS reader in Java (or, though
different, a Java client which retrieves an ftp file "from record n to
record m" ... I did it, although it naively reads unwanted records 1 to
n-1 and simply ignores them without outputting them).