[fitsbits] Question(s) regarding development of proprietary FITS manipulation software. . .

Michael Williams gberz3 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 11:32:19 EDT 2007

Thierry,

I certainly appreciate your input, and apologize for the frustration,
but we're obviously speaking terribly different languages here.  I am
a software developer;  nothing more, nothing less.  I have a client
that is interested in opening and editing FITS files.  We've been
provided with nothing more than FITS example files, a FITS
specification, and a few line items like "the ability to view a
histogram".  You're right, a class in astronomy might certainly be
helpful, but you have certainly *not* answered my questions.  You've
answered my questions in the same manner you say I'm asking them;
according to your preconception of what you *think* I should be asking.

You obviously have a good grasp of FITS.  I simply need that
knowledge translated.  All of these techno-philosophical answers do
nothing for a software developer.  Again, I am not a scientist.  I
asked other questions in a different post.  Perhaps you can answer
them.  My apologies for re-posts.  Feel free to only answer the ones
that don't try your patience:

1)  Is a FITS file really similar to, say, a Microsoft Word
document. . .in that it can store *any* kind of data (images, mp3s,
pdfs, minivans) with the only thing that can be counted on being the
"standard" header?  It seems that my problem is the fact that I'm
expecting FITS to actually *fit* (pun intended) into some specific
category with absolutely specific syntactical and semantic requirements.

2) What is the significance of *any* imagery in FITS?  Are the images
literally live pictures that were taken, or some arbitrary graphical
representation of data?

3) How do I determine what type of image manipulations are legitimate
for any type of image data?  Should I allow sepia toning?  Should I
allow them to run photoshop filters on the pictures?  I mean, what,
really is the usefulness of any manipulation on the image and what
are the most common techniques?

4) What is the goal of scientists when it comes to examining
another's FITS files?  What kind of "information" is truly gathered
from the "data"?

Regards,
Michael