[fitsbits] 64-bit integers

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Mon Apr 18 12:38:04 EDT 2005

On Mon 2005-04-18T11:59:21 -0400, William Thompson hath writ:
> I've recently been asked whether my binary table software for IDL could
> handle 64-bit integers, and had to respond that FITS does not currently
> support them. I remember that there was discussion a while back about
> adding support, but the last message I could find on the subject was from
> October 2001, reproduced below.

The subject of 64 bit integers has been raised in other forums much
more recently, indeed only days ago in the IAU FWG discussion list.

http://listmgr.cv.nrao.edu/pipermail/iaufwg/2005-April/000293.html

--
Steve Allen          UCO/Lick Observatory       Santa Cruz, CA 95064
sla at ucolick.org      Voice: +1 831 459 3046     http://www.ucolick.org/~sla