[fitsbits] 64-bit integers

William Thompson William.T.Thompson.1 at gsfc.nasa.gov
Mon Apr 18 11:59:21 EDT 2005

Folks:

I've recently been asked whether my binary table software for IDL could handle
64-bit integers, and had to respond that FITS does not currently support them.
I remember that there was discussion a while back about adding support, but the
last message I could find on the subject was from October 2001, reproduced below.

It's probably about time to revisit the subject.  Personally, I can only speak
from the perspective of IDL.  64-bit integers were first introduced into IDL in
vresion 5.2, which was released in late 1998.  In 2001, that would still have
been a fairly recent change, but nowadays we tend to consider anything before
IDL 5.2 (and sometimes 5.4) too old to be supported.

In the spirit of supporting innovations on a trial basis, as Bill Pence mentions
below, I could certainly add support for 64-bit integers into my software.  The
obvious implementation would be to use BITPIX=64 in primary HDUs and IMAGE
extensions, and TFORM='nK' in binary tables.  Does anybody see any problems with
that?

Bill Thompson

The earlier message from Bill Pence on 10-Sep-2001 is below.

--
William Thompson
NASA Goddard Space Flight Center

301-286-2040