[fitsbits] 64-bit integers

William Pence William.D.Pence at nasa.gov
Mon Apr 18 12:41:54 EDT 2005

Bill,

I'm glad you raised this issue because there has been considerable recent
activity regarding 64-bit integers in FITS.  Hopefully, in the next day or 2
a web page will be available that summarizes the current status and provides
some background information, as well as a more detailed proposal of specific
changes that could be made to the wording of the FITS Standard to support
64-bit integers. No doubt many people would like to express their opinions
on this issue, but it may be better to wait until this web page is released
(I'll post an announcement here) before starting a general debate of this issue.

Bill Pence

Dr. William Pence                          William.D.Pence at nasa.gov
NASA/GSFC Code 662         HEASARC         +1-301-286-4599 (voice)
Greenbelt MD 20771                         +1-301-286-1684 (fax)